The body works most efficiently at a slightly alkaline pH. Through maintaining a healthy pH level, you will enjoy better health, more energy, and fewer of the risks often associated with high acidity. (This means that you’re less likely to experience things like bleeding gums, thinning hair, brittle nails, fatigue, joint pain, weakness, yeast infections, psoriasis, and more.
Eating a diet high in plant based foods in one way to promote alkalinity in the body. Here are a few foods to get you started:
1. Leafy Greens. Leafy greens, it probably goes without saying, are extremely good for you. Alkalinity aside, most of us could benefit from increased intake of leafy greens. We can add to their long list of benefits the fact that these “super foods” are alkalizing foods—or foods that increase the amount of alkalinity in the body.
2. Next up is cruciferous vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables are veggies that are members of or otherwise related to the cabbage family. These include cabbage itself, of course, but also cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, and brussels sprouts. The benefits of these veggies to your health are huge. They have a reputation of being “cancer-fighting” foods, and they are also naturally alkaline.
3. Lemons and Limes. This is one that surprises a lot of people. Both lemons and limes, while being acidic in themselves, become alkaline in the human body.
4. Certain nuts are also good in terms of their alkalizing properties. Almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, and chestnuts are all good. (But avoid peanuts!) Nuts are high in protein, great to snack on, and used in many vegetarian and vegan dishes.
5. Root vegetables, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots are both good for you and alkaline-promoting. They are good to eat year around, but especially in the winter when they are in season. They can be eaten raw or cooked a variety of ways… from roasting to baking to crock potting.
The biggest thing to remember when making dietary choices that affect your body’s pH is that you really are what you eat. If you eat healthy, alkalizing foods, you are more likely to have a healthy body with healthy pH levels. If you eat unhealthy and highly acidic foods, your results will match your efforts. For the best overall health, stick to a diet high in vegetables and fruits that promotes a healthy pH.